Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Early DG 78s/History

Once again,you come to the rescue.You are a treasure Don.Thank you very much .This brings up another question.I have two HMV 78s,from the 30s. One by Toscanini,and one by Bruno Walter.These have no country of origin listed on the labels,but the perimeter printing is all in Czech.The colors,and printing are all sort of off.Do you have any idea what the story is here ?

As for the tulips,I have 78s on the this label,from 1947-8,so I assume this label began to be used,right after the war.

                                  Roger

Don Tait <Dontaitchicago@xxxxxxx> wrote:   This is for Roger.

  The DG 78 thing is a bit complicated but I'll try to explain it concisely,
OK?

  "Deutsche Grammophon [Gessellshaft]" means only "German Gramophone
Company." Gramophone for HMV, His Master's Voice. When it began, it was the German
branch of the British-based Gramophone Company, with the major pressing plant
Hannover in Germany.

  When World War I began and there were hostilities between Great Britain and
Germany, the holdings of the Gramophone Company at Hannover were
nationatilized by the Germans. The difficulties continued after the end of the war. To
make it brief, legal proceedings were finished around 1926. Courts then decreed
that HMV (The Gramophone Company) could begin to issue records again in
Germany, Austria, and Czechoslovakia -- it had been forbidden to do so --  but could
not use the dog and phonograph illustration on its labels. HMV records in
those countries therefore became, at least in Germany, "Electrola."

  So after that, and until 1945, DG records showed Nipper and his machine in
Germany. DG owned the trademark. After that they had to get another one...the
tulip?

  The Urlus 78 you cited from eBay might even be pre-World War I. No dog!
What do you think?

  Please talk.

   Don Tait

 See what's new at http://www.aol.com
Can anybody give me the history on this label design,or this period in DG's history ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jacques-URLUS-RARE-GERMAN-GRAMMOPHON_W0QQitemZ250186240976QQihZ015QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I had seen records on this label turn up a number of times on eBay in recent years, but had never actually seen one.

Does anyone have a source for information about DG's ties to The Gramophone  Company/EMI/HMV,and how and why they severed these ties,and stopped using the HMV dog on their labels ?Would this have been sometime shortly after WWII?

                                  Thanks,
                                   Roger