Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Early DG 78s/History

DGG ran two labels and printed two sets of catalogs and supplements simultaniously, from the time the "who owns what" mess was resolved in 1922(?) and the policy continued until the end of WW II. They used the dog and horn logo inside Germany as "Schallplatte Grammophon", later "Grammophon," and "Polydor" without. For Opera Disc, the export label used to the US only (?) until nipper's fate was decided, see the entry in Sutton's "American Labels and Companies." Post WWI the company was independent of the Gramophone Company. To reenter the German markert, the English folks set up Electrola. Niipper went back to the English folks after WW II.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Early DG 78s/History

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: -
Well...if it were pre-mid 1914 (and the outbreak of WWI)...wouldn't it
still include Nipper on its label(s)? The Gramophone Company, IIRC,
set up subsidiary operations in virtually all European countries...
and in each case the labels carried Nipper as well as a local-
language translation of "His Master's Voice"...right?

In any case, as I understand it, DG DID continue to press records
in Germany...including "pirated" versions of Victor Red Seal discs
for which they had stampers. Since WWI divided the two groups of
nations, each one as the others' "enemy," I would guess questions
regarding the ownership of "enemy" copyrights were ignored by
German courts.

DID "Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft" (I assume this was the
German name of their branch...?!) issue records bearing pictures
of "Nipper," and contemporary Victor and HMV(UK) sides? Or, were
Gramophone-Company-related sides simply NOT issued in "enemy
countries? As well, did DGG continue to exist once Electrola
was established...or did it simply disappear temporarily?

Steven C. Barr
Nipper was on the labels,until 1945.If I could post pictures here,I would.They did not,as far as I know,issue anything other than DGG artists on this label.(Berlin Philharmonic,Wilhelm Kempff,etc,)DGG also issued Decca (US) jazz,on Brunswick after the 1933 ban.There is a long out of print book on jazz in Nazi Germany,published sometime in the 80s.(I have it somewhere.It has saxophones forming a swastika on the cover.)This book reprints part of a 1937 German Brunswick jazz record catalog.Anyone recall the name of this book,I can't offhand.

As for records from enemy countries,I have wartime Nippon Columbia 78s,by Bob Wills,Leon McCauliff,and Spade Cooley.I thought an old 78 hand like you might know about such stuff.

Roger