Re: [ARSCLIST] New Universal Japan reissue LP's

I used to have a Japanese Philips of Haitink''s Wagner excerpts. As compared with the regular issue, the bass had been boosted. I hated it.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "MATSUBAYASHI 'Shaolin' Kohji" <shaolin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:17 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] New Universal Japan reissue LP's

At Wed, 7 Nov 2007 06:39:38 -0500,
Tom Fine wrote:

One comment about your earlier post. I am pretty sure the 1980's Polygram Japan reissues were made
from master tapes. I do not think there had been much mass-digitization in the company yet and I
don't think the masters were strictly policed back then. In fact, I know for a fact that all or most
of the Emarcy/Mercury and Verve jazz titles in that series were made from the original tape masters
because when some of them were done as CD's in the early 1990's, the tapes were still in Japan
instead of where the remastering producers expected them to be.

Hmmm. But the OBIs of 1980's Polygram LP releases proudly claims that "these LP reissue series are from digitally-transfered tapes directly from original analogue master tapes". They didn't likely to do much re-equalization or "remastering", but if we believe what OBI says, they did transfers from original analogue tapes to digital tapes, then LPs were cut using the digital tapes.

One more question for Kohji -- are these guys who mastered and supervised this series the same guys
who did the 1980's LPs?

I don't think so - although I don't have any proofs for that, and I am not certain who really mastered and supervised for these series, both recent 2007 LPs and 1980's LPs...

Kohji