Re: [ARSCLIST] Recordings of lynchings?

Marie,
Yes I did,and as a frequent eBay seller I see nothing wrong with this.This is a valid part of history,and if people are willing to pay money for it,I see nothing wrong with this.If an item has valid historical value,the owner should be able to sell it,regardless of the morality behind this history.If I found a 100 year old KKK outfit,I  would want to sell it on eBay.As someone who has come across some rare,and unusual Nazi items,and has been barred from selling them,by eBay's policy,I can certainly sympathize.I don't know the particulars,but I don't believe lynching was considered murder,in all states at the time,the authorities turned the proverbial blind eye and deaf ear to the practice.

                                 Roger

Marie OConnell <Marie.OConnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Dear Roger,

I meant to reply earlier and was a little surprised that no one else
seemed to notice your comment. I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but
are you saying you sold a postcard depicting a lynching to a unknown
person for profit?

The  postcard may be evidence of a serious crime. The victim's family
could be deeply hurt by the circulation of this image. Surely it would
be better kept in a reputable institution than circulating with unknown
"collectors"?

I actually sold a couple of these a few years back on eBay...

Roger and Allison Kulp

                                       Roger

Alex Hartov  wrote: Nonsense!

They made post cards of it with prominent citizens in front.  The
postal service at one time had to make rules that no such cards would

be delivered...

Alex

On Oct 16, 2007, at 10:41 PM, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

> Keep in mind that lynching...REGARDLESS of the race of the "lynchee
> (s)"...
> was totally against the law, and thus hardly an event that would
> have been
> recorded for posterity...!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Marie O'Connell