Re: [ARSCLIST] Recordings of lynchings?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> Marie,
> Yes I did,and as a frequent eBay seller I see nothing wrong with this.This is
a valid part of history,and if people are willing to pay money for it,I see
nothing wrong with this.If an item has valid historical value,the owner should
be able to sell it,regardless of the morality behind this history.If I found a
100 year old KKK outfit,I  would want to sell it on eBay.As someone who has come
across some rare,and unusual Nazi items,and has been barred from selling them,by
eBay's policy,I can certainly sympathize.I don't know the particulars,but I
don't believe lynching was considered murder,in all states at the time,the
authorities turned the proverbial blind eye and deaf ear to the practice.

Sadly, what the above says, reduced to its actual content, is this:

"I have the unquestionable right to sell ANYTHING and EVERYTHING for
which I can prove legal ownership...to the highest bidder, regardless
of (1) that party's reason for acquiring same...and (2) that party's
intended use of the artifact(s)!"

Cut that to the chase, and it will easily reduce to "I WANT ALL THE
MONEY I CAN GET"...or, "Gecko's Law" (Greed is GOOD!). Under certain
circumstances, I would question this/these statement(s)...?!

Let's say, for example, you run across, at a yard sale, a set of
plans for some local nuclear-reactor facility. You then place
those on eBay...and the winning bid comes from "Bin Laden," with
a Pakistani e-mail address...!

Okeh...are you within your rights to complete that sale, knowing
that its most likely result will be a terrorist attack on the
nuclear facility, possibly killing/injuring millions?! BUT...
you're walking away with a hundred grand for a stack of papers
that cost you fifty cents cash...?!

Obviously, these are probably-unrealistic extremes...nonetheless,
they illustrate applicable questions...?!

The defining law of the XXI Jahrhundert has become, to misquote
whomever spoke the original (apparently NOT Vince Lombardi):

"Money isn't everthing...it's the ONLY thing...!"