Re: [ARSCLIST] [was ARSCLIST] When you die...

Bob Olhsson <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    ***There is the slight matter that the purpose of that "draconian" Bono act was to bring U.S. copyright terms into line with most of the rest of the world in order to end abuses by people attempting to profit from the differences in term length between different countries.

While I believe that was that was the stated intent of the law, there are indeed many aspects of that law and its application that have seen some heavy fines imposed by what might be considered minor infractions, hence I find the use of the term "draconian" to be appropriate.

  It should be added that there are many related considerations which point to the implementation of the Bono law not being in keeping with the rest of the world. For example, consider how one can obtain subscriber data from an ISP under US law, versus German law. I believe in Germany one needs to go through a public prosecutor's office, versus the US where one can needs only an ex parte subpoena.

  Karl