Re: [ARSCLIST] When you die...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Personally, I think musicians should be paid by the hour like everyone
> else. I don't get royalties for an afternoon's work that I did back in
> 1973. Why should a guitar player?

Actually, they are...in many cases according to wage schedules established
by the AFM in the applicable community...!

However, the "guitar player" receives a defined royalty...IF he/she/it
composed the song/one of the songs being played in public for money.
As well, should the above be the case, he/she/it could receive other
payment when/if the song is recorded...?!

The mysterious "guitar player" ONLY collects money (and usually a
VERY small amount thereof...?!), from
(1) ASCAP/BMI/SOCAN/usw., when his composition is used by someone
else to make money (2) IF he/she/it was part (or all) of a group
who were eligible for royalties related to record sales, at the
time said record was fixed...!

However, most of us "non-union players" get a fixed sume from the
beer joint where we played (usually $200-300 for the gig, with us
paying the amounts needed to rent PA, mikes, usw. unless we own
same...?!). IF we have (a) current CD('s), we can flog them from
the stage and make further amounts thereon...!

Most likely, the only "guitar players" whose recorded performances
generate income via c.1973 recordings are Eric Clapton and B.B. King
(although there may be others who died some time past...?!).

BTW, the fact that you didn't recieve royalties for work you did
back in ninteen-and-seventy-three was because you wound up in the
wrong line of business...?! OTOH, you were probably paid a fairly
impressive basic amount...while the hapless musician was paid the
least amount his/her/its beer-joint "employer" could get away with...?!