Re: [ARSCLIST] When you die...

On 02/11/07, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

> It is also interesting to note that in things literary, a book
> will remain under copyright for the length of the applicable
> copyright term applying in the country where it was originally
> written...but apparently a sound recording's copyright status
> depends on the term applicable in the country where same was
> manufactured (otherwise the rest of the world would have to
> wait until 1/1/2067 (subject to further extension...?!) to
> hear the "greatest hits of the Peerless Quartette"...?!

A sound recording of somebody reading the book would be subject to the
same laws as a recording of somebody performing a song.

The text and the music composition are typically copyright until 75 (or
whatever) years after the author dies. The sound recording is copyright
until 50 (or whatever) years after it is recorded.

Personally, I think musicians should be paid by the hour like everyone
else. I don't get royalties for an afternoon's work that I did back in
1973. Why should a guitar player?

Regards
--
Don Cox