Re: [ARSCLIST] Hatto, etc.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldberg" <ericgoldie@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Hatto, etc.

> An interesting feature was that you could issue the pop and show stuff either
as instrumental items or, by overdubbing, have them appear as vocal versions. I
suspect the old "Ed Sullivan Presents" broadway show series was thus created.

Do you know who sang on these Ed Sullivan Presents recordings.

IT NEEDS VOICE IDENTIFICATION SOFTWARE AND A COLLECTION OF SUSPECTS.

One of my odd jobs was hunting down all the cheap issues of West Side Story
and songs therefrom for Leonard Bernstein's office so they could be sure they
were collecting royalties.

I have a West Side Story on Vox. Are the credits legitimate???

DON'T KNOW. LB SURELY GOT PAID BY VOX SO I NEVER CONSIDERED IT.

> Sales were not restricted to the US. There was a Mikado, possibly from one of
these sources, with a cast including Martyn Green, which was issued on Allegro.
The same instrumental performance appeared behind a version in German, or so I
recall.

Wasn't this the recording with Richard Korn conducting? HE WAS SO CREDITED.

Some of the Halo (.$ .99) records were made this way. I remember Eddie Smith
(EJS records, Golden Age of Opera, etc.) once telling me he used these tapes to
record some of the active opera singers of the period. Kurt Baum may have been
one. This was probably part of a gig Eddie did for Allegro or Remington that
trickled down to Halo. I've no paper work on this, just recollection. I'm sure
other tenors of that ilk reused these audio backgrounds.

I have quite a few Allegro and remington opera recordings and I wouldn't be surprised that most of them were made with the singers performing with pre-recorded backgrounds. I remember recordings of piano accompaniments for classical songs, although I do not recall the label name. They used to be sold in Patelson's music across the street from the stage entrance to Carnegie Hall.

And there were always Music Minus Ones for classical players and jazz instrumentalists.

I recall sitting late a couple of nights in the old Crest Cafateria on 57th St
in NY with George Goldner, a rock behind-the-scenes personality, plus a friend
of mine who had German and Dutch, the three of us making up performer names for
symphonic recordings. George was planning a bargain line from these sources.
This was about 1964. I think some of these came on Roulette and/or a sub-label,
maybe Forum.

I have Forum SF 9044 which is JOYCE HATTO performing Rhapsody in Blue with the "Hamburg Pro Music", "George Byrd" conducting. Having never heard of that maestro, I wonder if he was real or a pseudonym.

In addition, Vox leased tapes for use in some of encycloperdia sets and other
ventures. Sometimes credited, often not, they add to the confusion.

What do you mean by "encyclopedia sets". I don't recall many Vox's with misleading attributions, except for the several names for the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, and the Stuttgart Pro Musica, which I believe was basically the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra without Munchinger conducting. I almost forgot, the Corelli Tri-Centenary String Orchestra which was comprised of NBC Symphony players.

I MEAN ISSUES ON OTHER LABELS USING VOX TAPES. MAYBE THE FUNK & WAGNALLS SET. THERE WERE AT LEAST A DOZEN, SOME FOR CLASSROOM USE.

--
I AM CHANGING MY EMAIL ADDRESS.
Ericgoldie2@xxxxxxxxx