Re: [ARSCLIST] Advice needed on audio cassette cases

----- Original Message -----
From: "KEYLON, ASHLIE" <KEYLON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Dear Collective Wisdom,
> Does anyone know if audio cassette cases are archivally safe? I'm not meaning
archival storage boxes for multiple cassettes---I mean the hard (or sometimes
soft) plastic cassette housing cases.
> We have a special collection (recently donated to us) of hundreds of cassettes
in which the plastic cases are broken and need replacing. My colleague, who
processed this collection, is suggesting we purchase Norelco soft poly boxes.
You can see them <a
href=http://www.tapes.com/index.php?cPath=199_200_201&osCsid=fc1a3eccca0c987077b
618dd874bc423> here</a>.
> What do you use? Is there any archival information on these cases?

As near as I can tell:

1) The hard-plastic cassette cases should cause no long-term harm to
cassette tapes stored therein. The tape is, however, supceptible to
both magnetic damage (don't lean your cassettes against your speakers,
eh...?!) as well as the usual woes of magnetic tapes (as well as a few
of their own...!).

2) The last I knew, the "cassette containers" were still available
relatively cheaply.

3) I will accept correction from anyone more knowledgable in the area
of which poly-wotevers react badly with others (i.e. "Does not play
well with others...?!)