From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List on behalf of Tom Fine
Sent: Thu 8/30/2007 5:57 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Advice needed on audio cassette cases

Hi Ashlie:

If these are what you mean:
http://tinyurl.com/28jmha
I have seen these used in libraries and other circulating-collection tye places. They seem to work
just fine and take a licking.

I have always used these:
http://tinyurl.com/2fzf6m
to replace old-style black-back boxes in my collection, but I don't have stuff circulating or
dropping on hard floors.

The big advantage to the soft boxes is that they don't shatter when dropped. The higher quality ones
snap closed and are more likely to hold the cassette in the box when dropped. I have never heard of
them damaging tape via plastic out-gassing or other such things but anything seems possible.

I very much agree with your instinct not to use multi-tape albums. These are usually not a good way
to hold cassettes as they pinch or press or otherwise force the tape to be held in place.  I have
seen one case where a multi-tape album was stored in a hot closet and warped and pressed enough to
warp tape shells and damage tape pack. So I would highly not recommend such things.

If this collection is of older tapes, I'd make it a funding priority to transfer them to high-rez
digital. Cassettes are the cockroaches of tapes, in that they seem able to sit on a shelf for a very
long time and still spring back to life when needed. But they wear out too, the biggest two problems
I've seen being the cassette housing falls apart (fixable) and loss of signal level on the tape (not
fixable, degrades audio quality, especially if the tape is Dolby encoded, especially Dolby C).

-- Tom Fine