Re: [ARSCLIST] Blu-Ray gets the BetaMax treatment

There will (and may be already) digital tuners that you can plug into an
NTSC set- part of the governmental logic involved in darkening the analog
airwaves (so they can be auctioned off) is to give out certificates to cover
part of the costs for such devices to provide to people who still don't own
a DTV.

I must admit, a well mastered blu-ray title on a 720p or 1080p display looks
awfully nice.

Compression is horrible on many "Hi Def" channels on satellite and cable.
And the FCC and/or congress rolled over for the broadcasters in allowing
them to use DTV not for its HD potential but to cram more crap onto one
channel.  Plus, now broadcasters can include "content protection."  It's the
American way!  (want fries with that??)

Funny thing about the competing disc formats are the manufacturers who are
not allied with "content providers" (cf. supposedly Paramount, who just
dropped their blu-ray support- but with a handy escape clause- is due to get
something like $150MM from Toshiba for their support of HDDVD) and are
manufacturing machines that read both formats, thereby doing an end-run
around the evil cabals.