Re: [ARSCLIST] TAPE resources online

on 8/17/07 10:52 AM US/Central, peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx at lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> When tape is folded over on itself in a bad pack, you end up with small
> sections (in the fold) where the oxide binder is pressed against the oxide
> binder from the next wrap and the back-coat is pressed against the
> back-coat.  In a number of instances, this results in the record-layer
> binder becoming entirely detached from the base-layer where the two sections
> of binder are touching: the recording layer simply falls off the tape.
> Interestingly enough, the back-coat layers that are touching do not detach
> from the base-layer.  Anyone want to try a stab at why this might be
> happening?  Note: the rest of the tape wraps sometimes are and sometimes are
> not badly hydrolyzed.

I think contact with a smoother surface might cause this, and not
necessarily because it's another record-layer. I've seen the record-layer
binder come completely off on the smooth hub of the reel, and especially on
early 3M plastic leader tape, which is relatively shiny and smooth. Then
when the wrap is against the back-coat, everything stays in place.

--
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation