From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 10:12 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] TAPE resources online

At 01:30 AM 2007-08-17, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
> [...]

No reports that I have seen identify these as harmful to life, but
the usual precautions apply -- i.e. wash your hands before meals,
avoid breathing fumes (I wear a respirator when I'm dealing with
moldy tapes, but the breakdown products don't seem to fly all over
the place), etc.

As I understand it, the broken chains are still mostly captive in the
matrix and it takes the energy of pulling the tape past something to
get them to come off. I don't think it's like asbestos, for example.

I'm not a doctor nor medical researcher, so if anyone has any better
information, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx