Re: [ARSCLIST] TAPE resources online

During our research in the AES/ANSI technical commission on tape stability,
we got data from (unspecified) tape manufacturers that brand new tape
(immediately after manufacture) could show signs of the shorter oligomers.
This means that some tapes were partially hydrolyzed BEFORE they left the
factory.

One of the problems with pinning down what is happening is that there are a
number of issues and vectors at work.  Too often someone tries to "simplify"
things and get a "one stop" answer.  (to some extent, this applies to
"baking" tapes- a valuable process but NOT a "cure-all") With a chemically
and physically complex material such as magnetic tape, simplifying the
problem is likely to "simplify" the answer to the point where it is only
partially correct.

Take for example, the information (in the first paragraph) we received from
the manufacturers.  The polymers in the coatings of magnetic tape are more
stable (resistant to hydrolysis) the longer the polymers.  The polymers in
any one tape formulation are going to be a mix of varying lengths.  The more
long polymers, the more stable (and expensive to make) the tape.  Even brand
new tape, however, can have some shorter chain molecules.

Now, Richardson comes along and notes that most tapes with severe hydrolysis
are back-coated- this is true.  Unfortunately, he postulates that ALL tapes
that are hydrolyzed are back-coated.  There is evidence that this is not
true.  On the other hand, since most hydrolyzed tapes are back-coated, it is
reasonable to make the connection between back-coating and hydrolysis.  Why?
Well Richard indicates that the back-coat is "binder rich".  The overall
amount of binder available may be a culprit.  In addition, there were a lot
of formula changes to the binders around the same time that back-coats were
starting to be applied- this could also be a culprit.  Finally, as the
length of the polymers makes a difference in stability- were the same
quality control procedures and the same formulas used for the binder mix in
the back-coat as for the binders in the recording surface?- if not, this
could also be a culprit.

The back-coat does have an effect on the hydrolysis problem but exactly why
and what that effect is, is not entirely clear.  Since we have other ways to
make hydrolyzed tape playable and I have handled non-back-coated tapes with
hydrolysis, I personally am not about to start removing the back-coat from
hydrolyzed tapes.

On another, slightly different tact, there is a frequently observed tape
problem that (to date) no one has been able to explain the physics/chemistry
of:

When tape is folded over on itself in a bad pack, you end up with small
sections (in the fold) where the oxide binder is pressed against the oxide
binder from the next wrap and the back-coat is pressed against the
back-coat.  In a number of instances, this results in the record-layer
binder becoming entirely detached from the base-layer where the two sections
of binder are touching: the recording layer simply falls off the tape.
Interestingly enough, the back-coat layers that are touching do not detach
from the base-layer.  Anyone want to try a stab at why this might be
happening?  Note: the rest of the tape wraps sometimes are and sometimes are
not badly hydrolyzed.

Peter Brothers
SPECS BROS., LLC
973-777-5055
peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tape restoration and disaster recovery since 1983