Re: [ARSCLIST] July/August issue of Black Grooves

Amazing ! I grew up in this time frame. HOW did I miss her..?? I'm
buying in as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:00 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] July/August issue of Black Grooves

Let me chime in, from listening to the generous samples and complete
MP3's on the website, the playing and production were top-drawer and my
overall conclusion was "Prince way before Prince, and with more, er,
testosterone!" Because Ms. Davis was pre-disco, she was not cursed with
synthesizers and electronic drums. Just pure analog shag-carpet funk.
She's no crooner, more a growler. Larry Graham's fingerprints are all
over the two reissued albums, so it's super-bad. Just ordered both
albums.

-- Tom Fine