Re: [ARSCLIST] July/August issue of Black Grooves

Let me chime in, from listening to the generous samples and complete MP3's on the website, the
playing and production were top-drawer and my overall conclusion was "Prince way before Prince, and with more, er, testosterone!" Because Ms. Davis was pre-disco, she was not cursed with synthesizers and electronic drums. Just pure analog shag-carpet funk. She's no crooner, more a growler. Larry Graham's fingerprints are all over the two reissued albums, so it's super-bad. Just ordered both albums.

If you like Betty Davis, you should check out Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings (if you haven't already):
http://www.daptonerecords.com/pages/stable_sharon.html

-Matt Sohn