Re: [ARSCLIST] Cracked Cylinder Record

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> Robert Hodge wrote:
> > GAD !!
> > If Cooledit hasn't some form of sensitivity control for setting a
> > threshold, I see a weekend of agony in your future.
===
> I think you misunderstand the problem.
> These are not clicks overlying musical material. They neither replace
> recording nor coincide with it. Each represents the milliseconds of
> space occupied by that pass over the crack. In other words, they are
> brief intrusions into the flow of audio.
> ClickFix (far better than Audition's built-in tool) or any other
> declicker will fill in the space the click occupies with its best
> estimate of the missing audio. What's needed is just what is being done
> manually: excise the intrusion.
> I know of no software for any audio editor that will do what Terry
> Smythe needs - except the manual process he hopes to avoid.

Would it not be possible...IF "sound-file-improvement" applications can
provide a visible and editable version of the waveform of the pre-fixed
original...to manually edit out the clicks NOT by removing them...which
is what tape-editing does...but replacing what probably appears as a
short-duration, steep-sided peak by replacing same with a smooth
continuation "patch" of the waveform?!

Of course, in the unlikely (but not totally impossible) occasion that
the crack-driven peak happened to coincide with an actual peak (when
I think about it, even more unlikely, since drums effectively couldn't
be...and thus weren't...recorded acoustically...?!). I suppose the singer
could, in theory, have sung a "T sound," which probably also produces a
similar waveform image...?!