Re: [ARSCLIST] Cracked Cylinder Record

On 28/07/07, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

> [...]

When experimenting with the Wave Repair program, I found that the most
effective tool was "smoothing" of the selected section. The selected
section would be marginally longer than the click.

It is easy to create a macro which repeats the smoothing process several
times on one key stroke.

> Of course, in the unlikely (but not totally impossible) occasion that
> the crack-driven peak happened to coincide with an actual peak (when I
> think about it, even more unlikely, since drums effectively couldn't
> be...and thus weren't...recorded acoustically...?!).

They were. You can hear a full drum kit in use on, for example, the 1917
ODJB recordings. However, the lack of upper treble means that a physical
click will sound much sharper than any acoustic recording of percussion.

> I suppose the
> singer could, in theory, have sung a "T sound," which probably also
> produces a similar waveform image...?!

In modern recordings, a muted trumpet has a waveform which is exactly
the same as a series of clicks on vinyl. I had to give up trying to
clean up a Buck Clayton album for this reason. (Fortunately Mosaic
released it in one of their luxury boxes later.)

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx