Re: [ARSCLIST] Cracked Cylinder Record

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx>
> ----- it is years since I looked at his construction drawings, but his
> approach was more sophisticated than mere removal of oxide where the click
> was. He only removed the oxide partially, until the sound of the click (which
> he heard as a phase reversal on the monitor loudspeaker) merged with the
> background. There was a certain amount of use of stick-slip through the
> fingers in re-creating the click on the almost stationary tape, and the
> marking was a pin-prick, not a china marker. This was in opposition to the
> early approach of Ward Marston, who apparently removed bits of tape when
> creating the reissue of the Catalan Piano Tradition from cylinders for Gregor
> Benko (that is how I read the liner notes, anyway).

Having learned magnetic-tape editing in a lower-level University "broadcasting"
course, I cab personally testify that very-short-term "spurious content" (i.e.
the sound of a cracked or similarly damaged analog recording...!) was removed
via the excising (is there such a word as "excisation...?!") of the offending
data on the analog magnetic tape...!