Re: [ARSCLIST] DATs -- fully submerged?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Olhsson" <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> It's the Achilles heel of all digital media. Anything that doesn't migrate
> away from obsolete media soon enough becomes  useless. DAT only had a ten
> year run of serious use and the tapes remain subject to the self-erasure
> time bomb.

Well...perhaps it is time to see, if we employ research into "nano-processes,"
we can reduce the size of filler particles in shellac compounds to the point
where the particles will neither have any audible effect nor interfere with
the pressing of shellac-based CD's or DVD's!

As well, we can research if there are any side effects of a shellac-based
medium would cause, for example, a tendency for a pressed shellac-compound
object to revert to a "flat" state, removing any stored data?

At the other end of the data-storage spectrum...are there any known
tendencies of "altered-quanta" media to revert to their earlier conditions?

BTW (humourous bit...) should the subtitle of the original post be
"DAT's All, Folks"...or "DAT'll Be the Day?! Or...)