Re: [ARSCLIST] Studio Acoustics (was Cedar)

In commenting on Tom Fine's and my exchange about the audibility of Cedar artifacts in commercial releases, At 06:52 AM 2007-05-22, Don Cox wrote:

Most computers have fan noise which would make it hard to hear the
ambience on a record.

And there is the question of what monitors are being used.

This raises an issue which has only been marginally touched on in this list and I fear with all the other cost and time pressures perhaps does not receive proper attention.

Good room acoustics (as well as audio monitor selection) are crucial in doing a good job of restoration and mastering. They are less important for doing preservation copies where no processing involving operator judgment is performed, but they are still important so you can hear if you have optimum playback.

While all of us may have our favourite monitor speakers, a recent series of tests about the Studer A80/A810 and Sony APR-5000 tested more than the audibility of differences among these three machines. It also showed that audibility of subtle differences can be discerned on three good monitor systems of VERY different design/implementation.

I have a 5.1 arrangement with Mackie HR-824s and an Energy subwoofer with a Blue Sky Bass Management Controller. My room was designed with the help of a major-league acoustician (but many compromises were made from the design, so I don't credit him). I have never owned a room/monitoring chain with better imaging. It matches the ITU/Dolby published geometry for 5.1 surround.

My friend Don has a Blue Sky 2.1 personal system in an average home bedroom (I think there is carpet on the floor).

Steve Puntolillo has a nice Tannoy monitor system in an acoustically designed control room.

All three systems were useable - Don doesn't use the Blue Sky 2.1 system for post production (he doesn't do anything but edit and has other systems for that) - even though they were very different.

Part of this shows how we adapt to our own monitoring environment(s), I think. Last fall, Don and I spent a good day listening to stuff on his Blue Sky personal monitor and it was wonderful -- partially because we were using it very near field, shutting out the rest of the room.

Since I've built my studio, I've found I haven't used my AKG K-240DF headphones at all. I can hear more over the Mackies in the new room than the headphones -- this was not the case in my old room in Southern California.

As to computer ambient noise, I have solved my challenge in that regard by having the fans "speak" to a foot-thick high-density mineral wool wall. Nothing reflects back from that. With both computers on, the room meets (or exceeds) NC-25. Depending on how much gear is on, and how fast I run the supply/exhaust fans, this number is degraded slightly.

The worst offenders are the Sony APR-5000 tape recorders which have noisy fans. I looked for the "Pratt and Whitney" label on them, but couldn't find one -- I do have some allegedly quieter Pabst fans awating installation...but they are a BEAR to swap.

If you meant "monitors" in the computer monitor sense, yes CRTs can emit noises that are annoying. I don't find that with my LCD monitors, though I presume some could emit noises. Most CRTs for computer use don't have that annoying 15,734 Hz tone that TV monitors have. I think I have a permanent notch at that frequency!

Cheers,

Richard