Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar

<SNIP>
> However, CEDAR Cambridge works in real time, or multiples of
> real time when using its internal editor. CEDAR Cambridge is
> not a plugin based system. It has digital i/o, as well as
> gigabit ethernet. It has an internal editor, so you have a
> choice. In addition, multiple instances of processes can be
> initiated in a chain, simultaneously. Real time or faster.
>
> > This contrasts with most plug-in processes which can run faster or
> > much faster than real time when "rendering" an audio file with the
> > application.
>
> There's been a related controversy in pro audio circles for
> years about software plugins. Essentially, the objection to
> plugins has been that they are written within the constraints
> of available CPU processing power, and are thus not truly
> optimized for the task at hand.
<SNIP>

CEDAR Cambridge is software that runs on a PC and so has the exact same limitation as
plug-ins do in terms of CPU processing: in either case, there is a finite amount of
processing based on the hardware of that platform.

Even if the processing is occurring on proprietary DSP designs (ex: PCI based DSP card),
that card still has a finite amount of processing and is measurable.... And comparable to
native (CPU) processing.

At the rate CPU speeds/cores are developing I don't know if proprietary DSP systems will
continue for long.  No audio workstation manufacturer can keep up with the on-going
Intel/AMD battle.  Our workstations can be fitted with dual quad-core CPU's; you'd be
hard-pressed to find equivalent processing in dedicated systems.

In any case, raw power is only a part of the equation; intelligent algorithms and
implementation is where it's at.  I think the folks at CEDAR and any other reputable
manufacturer would agree on that...

Best Regards,

Rob Poretti
Sascom - Toronto
vox.905.825.5373    fax.905.469.1129     cel.905.580.2467
www.sascom.com    www.cube-tec.com