Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Business vs. Music Business: The Shakeout Continues.

On 18 maj 2007, at 04.45, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
Keep in mind that in the USA there exists NO "clearly out of copyright"
sound-recording material! The most recent "improvements" to that aspect
of copyright law left all pre-1972 sound recordings under the auspices
of various state laws and common-law precedent, and this protection
usually lacks any mention of "until..."!
Some one else wrote off list with this warning and alerted me to potential other changes. I wonder if, instead, I could incorporate information (if people opt to make the information available) of their collection in the database project, so it could be then seen that "Steven C Barr" has a copy of a given disk and of course someone could take contact direct with you if they wanted more information or a "loan" of the said media. Nothing then is being facilitated or traded other than a contact for academic study. It might also help libraries and the like. One planned feature was the ability for collectors to maintain their own list from the "MASTER" database that is being developed (but not yet populated) and I guess this could be a natural extension. The user would be able to choose to make their "collection information" available and visible or just held private to themselves.

Darren
---
Darren Ingram (darren at ingram.fi / www.ingram.fi)
Provider of many things including research, media, innovation and consultancy services.

"Insert pointless, humo(u)rless quotation and ASCII art here"
"Insert lengthy, boring and meaningless corporate and copyright disclaimer here"