Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Business vs. Music Business: The Shakeout Continues.

On 16 maj 2007, at 19.16, Karl Miller wrote:

Could there be scope for some form of Bittorrent server/service for clearly out of copyright material. Maybe a small fee for membership to cover bandwidth/hosting and then maybe a certain number of members agree to host a certain amount of tracks. After the initial "jump" factor when people want to grab the material, I suspect it would calm down unless new members come in, thus reducing overall bandwidth. I could perhaps assist with this in conjunction with my fall database project but it would certainly crave some additional resource and assistance as I've never been an administrator on a Bittorrent service.

But the differing "copyright" laws might need to be considered as well.

Darren

Don Cox <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wrote:
*** what need would a person have to maintain their own collection or file, whether it be audio or anything else? assuming that we had a good navigation tool for the information stream and low cost access.

Don replies:

***Reliability.

***I have too many experiences of servers failing to want to rely on some company to store the music I want to listen to. And what happens when they decide to clear out all the recordings that "nobody" (ie you and I) listens to?

I would agree and had't really thought about that aspect. So, I wonder, what are we doing by placing so much trust in google? It seems to me to be very dangerous.

Karl

---
Darren Ingram (darren at ingram.fi / www.ingram.fi)
Provider of many things including research, media, innovation and consultancy services.
040 738 5292 / +358 40 738 5292

"Insert pointless, humo(u)rless quotation and ASCII art here"
"Insert lengthy, boring and meaningless corporate and copyright disclaimer here"