Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Business vs. Music Business: The Shakeout Continues.

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
> On 16 maj 2007, at 19.16, Karl Miller wrote:
> Could there be scope for some form of Bittorrent server/service for
> clearly out of copyright material.

Keep in mind that in the USA there exists NO "clearly out of copyright"
sound-recording material! The most recent "improvements" to that aspect
of copyright law left all pre-1972 sound recordings under the auspices
of various state laws and common-law precedent, and this protection
usually lacks any mention of "until..."!

However, unless amended in the next 59-and-a-bit years, most pre-1972
sound recordings will enter the public domain on January 1, 2067 (assuming
the planet is both habitable and inhabited by then...)! As far as 1972-on
recordings, I have to admit if there is a term fixed for those copyrights...
but if there is it is very possibly 95 years (which might be where 2067
came from...?!).

However, up here in Canada, each New Year's Day releases another year's
worth of sound recorings into p.d.! In fact, 1/1/08 will begin "freeing"
the first RCA recordings of Elvis...!