Re: [ARSCLIST] commerical reels history (was Boston Pops question)

There are two track stereo Westminster reels.I sold one on eBay a while back.It was Scherchen,of course.I can't recall what it was,it may have been "Messiah". It went for about $140.00.I was pretty surprised.

                                  Roger

Rod Stephens <savecal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Tom Fine wrote:

> Hi Jack:
>
> Just to clarify the history here, when you say "2-track (non-stereo)"
> do you mean half-track (2-sided mono) or do you mean one-direction
> mono? And, if you mean one-direction mono, are you sure they are not
> full-track? It should clarify this on the tape boxes, although the
> nomenclature used early on varied between companies.

I have three Sonotape recordings on 7" reels which are from the
Westminster catalog.   They are each labeled on the back of the box,
Recording:   Half Track--(Upper)
Speed:         7 1/2 inches per second
Track 1:       Forward
Track 2:       Reverse

> [...]
> allowed standard duping speeds in factories that by then were mainly
> doing 8-tracks, although a place with a decent on-going quarter-track
> business would have a separate duping line for that.
>
> There are several good articles covering the evolution of tape duping
> in the archives of the AES Journal. Anyone interested can search and
> buy articles at the AES website. Ampex published articles about the
> first 3200 system in the mid-50's, their higher-speed system for
> multiple formats in teh early 60's and their solid-state bin-loop
> system in the late 60's. I believe at least one of the makers of
> cassette duping equipment published at least one article, too.
>
> Tape duping must have been at least marginally profitable because
> people stayed in it all through reels, 8-tracks and cassettes. There
> was one brief moment, at the end of the LP era as CD's were just
> catching on, maybe 2 years in the early 80's, when cassettes outsold
> LPs. This was after the Walkman caught on big-time and before CD's
> were mainstream (when players still cost a grand and didn't sound so
> great). CD's then caught on and the cassette began submerging. I'm not
> sure there are any large-scale cassette duping for commercial music
> operations left. There are some operations taylored to smaller jobs
> who will do, for instance, 100 copies of a set of medical conference
> recordings or 1000 cassette box sets for Radio Spirits. I believe
> cassette duping for music is still a viable business in Asia but I
> might be wrong about that.
>
> -- Tom Fine
>
> -- Tom Fine
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Palmer"
> Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 8:16 PM
> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] commerical reels history (was Boston Pops
> question)
>

>>    I checked about a hundred of my tapes and I am not sure any of the
>> 2 track (non stereo) were from 1952.  I have several 2 track
>> non-stereo tapes, 7 1/2 speed that were issued by Ampex for London.
>> No date on the box or tape reel, so I can't be certain of the date.
>> None of the early 2 tracks I bought were stereo though.  I thought
>> the high-fidelity was great and worth the money. Thanks for making me
>> look.  I found three Gilbert and Sullivan operettas on reels that I
>> didn't even remember owning.  Jack
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine"

>> Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:10 AM
>> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] commerical reels history (was Boston Pops
>> question)
>>

>>> I'd be interested to know what's on them and who released them. I do
>>> not believe you'll find that they are in fact 2T stereo. They are
>>> likely half-track (2-sided) mono. If they are stereo, it would be
>>> very interesting to know who put them out as in 1952 only a few
>>> people were experimenting with 2-channel stereo recording of music.
>>> No major labels yet, although I believe RCA started making 2T
>>> masters in 1954 or even 1953 -- I think Zarathustra with Reiner was

Be a PS3 game guru.