Re: [ARSCLIST] Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

--- Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is an interesting statement. Slides might point out some of
> the pitfalls of preservation media...
>
> ...But, to this day, it's the albums my brothers and I
> -- or my brother's kids -- will
> pick up and enjoy. Why? Who has time to dig out the slide projector
> and set up the screen and sit around and go thru carousel after
> carousel.

This is interesting because I love watching slides.  The experience
is so much more complelling than looking at little faded pictures
in a book, and viewing slides is a communal experience, like going
to the movies.  I've been taking slides since high school, and my
friends frequently *ask* me to bring a few trays to get-togethers.
This includes stereo slides, which take a lot more effort to
present and enjoy.  I bought a film scanner so I could have
"worst case scenario" backups of my images in a safe deposit
box - something I've admittedly made little progress towards
achieving.  But I'm not ditching the ol' Ektagraphic until I
can get a digital projector with the same picture quality, which
is as easy to use (ie, doesn't require lugging a PC around
with it), and as affordable to buy new, as a Carousel projector.
I'd guess that's still 5-10 years out.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

Get your own web address.