To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

--- Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is an interesting statement. Slides might point out some of
the pitfalls of preservation media...

...But, to this day, it's the albums my brothers and I
-- or my brother's kids -- will
pick up and enjoy. Why? Who has time to dig out the slide projector
and set up the screen and sit around and go thru carousel after
carousel.

This is interesting because I love watching slides. The experience is so much more complelling than looking at little faded pictures in a book, and viewing slides is a communal experience, like going to the movies. I've been taking slides since high school, and my friends frequently *ask* me to bring a few trays to get-togethers. This includes stereo slides, which take a lot more effort to present and enjoy. I bought a film scanner so I could have "worst case scenario" backups of my images in a safe deposit box - something I've admittedly made little progress towards achieving. But I'm not ditching the ol' Ektagraphic until I can get a digital projector with the same picture quality, which is as easy to use (ie, doesn't require lugging a PC around with it), and as affordable to buy new, as a Carousel projector. I'd guess that's still 5-10 years out.

David Breneman david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

Get your own web address.