Re: [ARSCLIST] Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

RA Friedman <rafriedman@xxxxxxx> wrote:    ****Then the inaccessible media becomes the proverbial "1000 pound Gorilla" (with due apologies to our sister species), that the children or grandchildren have to deal with. My parents took 1000s of slides that haven't been looked at in 40+ years, plus there are tons of orphaned negatives for which there are no prints.

****I won't be researching my family lineage in my retirement, I'll be scanning media.

  In all seriousness, I wonder, if they haven't been looked at in 40+ years, why bother? If you haven't looked at them, what makes you think the grandchildren will care?

  As for that media being inaccessible, you can always find a light source and a magnifying glass.

  In playing my role as digital naysayer, as for the 1000 pound gorilla with thousands of slides over a lifetime...I am reminded of the 3,000+ digital images my wife has taken of the grandchildren in just these last 2 years...

  And what about all of that cataloging information and indexing...things I think about every time I take a picture...or click that mouse to record something. I love pointing out that it costs about $10 to scan a book, yet it costs about $35 to catalog it.

  Karl