Re: [ARSCLIST] Anyone familiar with "Spin It Again" Software to convert Lps a...

Slides scan OK but not as good as a Nikon negative/slide scanner in the adapter for my Epson 3170 scanner (one of the best bargains I ever got at $49 refurb'd direct from Epson). It's a PITA to put them in the adapter and it takes some tinkering to make it work. My family has discussed going in together for a Nikon so as to ingest all the slides in all of our various collections (probably several thousand all told). That solution is somewhere north of $1K including auto-feed but it is preferable.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Breneman" <david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Anyone familiar with "Spin It Again" Software to convert Lps a...

--- Steve Ramm <Stevramm@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I was one of those who only took
slides cause they were cheaper than prints. I have thousands.

I'm one of those who takes slides because they're better than prints. I also have thousands which I'm slowly digitizing but with the knowledge that the digitized copies are a last ditch preservation in case something happens to the originals (fire, flood, war, whatever). The slides themselves are still far more archivally stable than the digital copies.

If you do it yourself
 it will take at least 3 minutes per slide to scan and save PLUS
the cost of a  $100. scanner.

Holy cats! If you know of a $100 slide scanner pass that information on. I'm using a Konica/Minolta DiMage scanner I bought right before Sony bought out their line. It was about $500. It will do mounted slides and unmounted film, but will not accommodate stereo slides unless you remove them from the mounts. And I'm still looking for something affordable than can do 120 slides and negatives.

David Breneman david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/