Re: [ARSCLIST] (dream) restoration phono preamp opinions wanted

This whole discussion is a little bit off. A power supply for a tube preamp is easily built or obtained, and these days you can really clean up the DC and send DC to the filaments to beat hum as low as possible (usually inaudible unless there's something else wrong inside the preamp or it was never a great design). For instance, PowerOne used to make regulated supplies all the way up to 200VDC for a half amp or so, plenty for a preamp. And they make plenty of 12V or 5V adjustable to 6VDC supplies of different amps for the filaments. If the supply needs more than 200V, you can always find an old Lambda tube supply on eBay for south of a hundred bucks. Those things were built like tanks and rarely need anything except a new rectifier tube.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Ross" <johnross@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] (dream) restoration phono preamp opinions wanted

Powering C-8s is not a problem for me -- I own four (count them, 4!) Mac 20W-2 power amplifiers that do the job just fine. And they too have a hum adjustment pot.

Just offhand, I'm guessing that finding a D-8A power supply today (or a D-8, which would also work) would be far more difficult than finding a C-8 preamp. I found a couple online, in the $300 price range.

John Ross