[ARSCLIST] manual pressure

Hello,

I sometimes apply manual pressure to old 1/4" tapes to increase tape to head contact during low speed playback.  I have found this increases high frequency response.  I have also found that it seems to increase harmonic distortion.  Is the increase in distortion simply due to the additional high frequencies making it more audible?  Is this an acceptable practice?

Thanks,
Kevin Irelan