Re: [ARSCLIST] (dream) restoration phono preamp opinions wanted

At 4/3/2007 10:24 PM, EricJ wrote:
When it comes to phono preamps that are capable of
historical EQs, I was wondering...

1.  How many people use anything but RIAA, NAB, and FLAT
    EQs for digital transfers when doing preservation work?

For 78s and pre-RIAA LPs, I generally use a tube-era preamp that has front-panel adjustments for Turnover and Rolloff. A McIntosh C-8 is particularly flexible, but it requires an early Mac power amplifier as a power supply. I also like my Scott 121-C, with the Dynaural Noise Reduction function. I wouldn't use the noise reduction for preservation, but it's nice for casual listening. Of course, any tube equipment of that vintage almost certainly needs to be re-capped before you would want to use it for serious work.

2. Is the ability to reproduce a wide range of EQs on the phono preamp important, or do you apply the final EQ in the DAW using digital filters?

I think either approach is acceptable, as long as the EQ is correct.

3. Do you use an analog processor in conjunction with your DAW to apply EQ later to a FLAT digital transfer (ie. an analog processor loop)?

No.

4. How often do you run into the situation where your phono preamp doesn't have the EQ you want? It gets close, but not quite what you want.

That is not an issue with either the Scott or the McIntosh preamps.

8. If the phono preamp has accurate EQ(s), is quiet, and has low distortion, does anyone prefer tube versus solid-state electronics? Does this matter?

Obviously, I'm partial to tubes, but for RIAA EQ, I also use solid-state (including a McIntosh C-24, a Stanton 310 and some other broadcast preamps with balanced outputs

9. Do you use a custom-built phono preamp or a commercial phono preamp?

They're all commercial devices.

And if there's a phono preamp that supports historical EQs that you
really absolutely love, let me know, because maybe I should be buying
instead of building.

As I said earlier, I like both the Mac C-8 and the Scott 121-C. Unfortunately, both are subject to the demands of the loony collectors' market, so the prices are out of line with their value as playback tools. You can find relatively inexpensive C-8s, but they're useless without an expensive MC-30 or 20W-2 amplifier to supply power to the tubes.

John Ross