Re: [ARSCLIST] manual pressure

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Kevin Irelan wrote:

> I sometimes apply manual pressure to old 1/4" tapes to increase tape to head
> contact during low speed playback.  I have found this increases high
> frequency response.  I have also found that it seems to increase harmonic
> distortion.  Is the increase in distortion simply due to the additional high
> frequencies making it more audible?  Is this an acceptable practice?

----- I would venture that you are experiencing an increase in stick-slip:
the capstan has to pull harder on the tape, it stretches slightly, and when a
small part passes the tonehead somewhat quicker than average it relaxes
again. So, it is a kind of flutter. If you could apply a very controlled
force it would probably show up with sidebands in a spectrum, but with
"manual" the phenomenon would not be stable enough to show up, and you only
perceive an increase in distortion.

----- what is acceptable? The wear on the tonehead would also be slightly
larger, but if intelligibility increases for a transfer it would still have
advantages.

Kind regards,

George