Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT/ calculating the future / Use LTO's

At 08:10 PM 2007-03-28, Tom Fine wrote:
One other wrinkle to this whole issue.

Andy in Vermont raised the question (to paraphrase) -- well what about a small archive that can barely afford to keep boxes of tapes together and is slowly getting everything digitized, should they stop recording oral histories?

I would say no but consider this -- is it wise to migrate to something like a flash-memory recorder? Perhaps you should stick with cassettes until you figure out an inclusive and sustainable digital strategy.

Just a thought.

Dare I say, a FINE thought!

It has merit on the face of it, but there are some considerations that we need to review:

(1) The cost of digitizing the cassette may exceed the original acquisition cost (OK, I'm talking myself out of work here, but there are already enough cassettes to feed my Dragons until they start breathing fire--at which point they'll need to be retired). By the way, the useful life of the Dragon's heads is about 10,000 hours--I just saw in a brochure about the machine.

(2) Few if any good new cassette machines are being made today

(3) There are fewer and fewer choices in high-quality cassettes as we move forward.

In (2) and (3), I see the end-game as a race to the bottom.

The ARSC pre-conference workshop will be interesting. John Spencer will be there (I will not be, I'm arriving later).

I think we've been beating around Andy Kolovos's (from Vermont's) question in this entire discussion. I think the last two words in the subject "Use LTO's" is becoming the consensus. I have nothing against that as long as the migration strategy is there for the relatively short life-cycle window in LTO (~10 years).

Overall, I am very fond of LTO, but do not currently use it. I would use it in a heartbeat if there was a client who wanted it. As I've said ad-nauseam in this thread, I am focusing on the institutional repository as it takes the responsibility out of the archive's hands and places it with an IT group focusing on preserving all sorts of client digital data. The repositories are being considered electronic publishing--in lieu of paper in some instances.

Cheers,

Richard