Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT/ calculating the future / Use LTO's

I'm all for partnering. It's vital for EVERYONE, as no one (or company)
has the ability to know everything about everything. You should however
have a general understanding about the areas in whch your partners are
working to protect your own intrests.

Archiving in a digital world is a tricky landscape, and that's why I
never understand those who try to take it all on themselves. If you're a
institution/company, establish your function, and honestly evaluate what
you can and can't do, with your available personnel and financial
resources.

If you can't (or don't know how to) transfer or digitize, let an expert
do it. If you have digitized and can't host or migrate, then hand the
stuff off to an organization that can. Wiping your hands clean, knowing
you did "your job".

I feel that most here are in a place where they would like to do
everything: digitize, increase accessibility, increase collection size,
host online, etc. However, maybe your best bet is just raising money (or
awareness), and PAYING people to do all the rest of the work.

For example, my dad used to spend his free time/weekends fixing the
car(s), moving the lawn, painting the house, etc. In today's world, I
wouldn't think of doing that with my free time. I focus on making the
salary needed to have those things done by people who are professionals
in their trade.

It's a different way of thinking. You can call it off loading,
partnering, dependency whatever. At the end of the day, it's about
you/your institution doing what it's good at, and not trying to "do it
all".

Don Andes
Director of Archives
EMI Music