Re: [ARSCLIST] "Carved in Stone"--was: Hard disk drives and DAT

Richard L. Hess wrote:
At 11:38 PM 2007-03-27, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I see this a little differently and perhaps a little more optimistically.
> For the first time in history, we are confronted with wishing to
> preserve information in a method that can in no way be considered
> permanent. "Permanent" media, except perhaps carvings in granite,
> have all been illusory, and the percentage of items surviving vs.
> items created has always been low.

The reality is, as anyone knows who has tried to establish birth/death
dates from tombstones, that in this era "carved in stone" can no longer
exemplify permanence...!

Which was why I specifically mentioned granite which appears to be doing much better than most stone in this regard.

So now we can take everything for granite?

(Duck, Lennick!)