Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT

Hello, George,

I see this a little differently and perhaps a little more optimistically.

For the first time in history, we are confronted with wishing to preserve information in a method that can in no way be considered permanent. "Permanent" media, except perhaps carvings in granite, have all been illusory, and the percentage of items surviving vs. items created has always been low.

As Tom Fine has stated in the past, what to collect, save, or preserve is a big question. I think it has been ever thus. Preservation has often been by accident and, going forward, perhaps preservation will be by non-accident when such accidents could be financial or political.

With digital repositories we have the tools more readily available for Orwell's Ministry of Truth to exist. The "Trusted" Digital Repository lingo that abounds today is perhaps a reaction to that.

I think with university libraries and their permanent digital collections leading the charge, we will see repositories that work reasonably well. Physical diversity of multiple copies remains the safest protection be it from war, politics, or an asteroid.

While I understand part of your depression of not having the original physical object in a useable form in the future, I am happy about having the content of that object preserved so that it can be studied and perhaps even enjoyed.

Would we care if a recording of the Gettysburg Address existed that it was on the original clay pot? (Yes, I'm mixing my metaphors). I could click my Palm and hear my copy of that address as I drove through the battlefield. Alas, no one apparently was turning a clay pot during the address. We have to read the original manuscript and be content with Raymond Massey's recorded interpretation.

While the medium is the message in many areas of study, at the end of the day, the content is what is important. The medium (media) help forge/morph our society, but the content of the media is the record of the forging/morphing influence at the end of the day. As part of the study of history, being able to reproduce the experience of the media over different times will be important in understanding the ecology of the media, but the content is what needs to be widely available.

I am optimistic that we can perhaps save even more of a percentage than our ancestors saved and we can do so at lower cost. We sometimes see vandalism in trusted physical repositories such as the San Francisco Public Library dumpstering a massive number of books that friends of mine enjoyed browsing.

On a brighter note, it appears today that the Smithsonian has taken the first steps to reverse what to some appeared to be a negative course relating to reducing access to the publicly funded collections to benefit one private entity. The feedback loop bandwidth is exceedingly low (cycles per decade), but it has worked many times in many places over time. My 91-year-old Dad reminds me of this as I despair over the state of world politics.

I don't want to show up in Nicholson Baker's grandson's book "Double Bit Bucket" or something like that as one of the evil doers. In "Double Fold" Baker certainly maligns the microfilming industry.

We create massive amounts of information every year. Some of that will be important to our descendants. We cannot necessarily predict how and what that will be. When our grandchildren look at what we saved for them, do you think they would be happier with more or less? I think the answer to that partially depends on how much effort their generation will have to spend to maintain the heap 'o stuff -- as they continue to add to it.

Archives become the keepers of the semi-sacred information. But this information is the collective memory of the world. We need to support the political and financial models that help to preserve this legacy, and we have to do it efficiently, effectively, and carefully. We need to find people who want to do this--be keepers of the semi-sacred bits--and it must be more than just a job for them.

And yes, some thing will be saved because individuals cared when institutions didn't. I think it has been ever thus. The estate libraries that you bring up are an example.

I am more encouraged and less depressed than you. I apologize for ranging so far and wide above, but this is an email message, not an edited thesis.

Cheers,

Richard