Re: [ARSCLIST] Haas effect

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hi Marcos, and others who might be interested,

> I do not normally disagree with your posts, but I thought the Haas
> effect, strictly speaking, referred to localisation of a sound source;
> i.e., given a pair of sound sources A and B in different places but the
> same signal, the earlier (<40 ms) sound from A will determine the
> perceived overall location, even if the sound from point B is quite a
> bit louder. At delays > ~40 ms, the two sources start to be
> distinguishable.

----- Haas observed one consequence of the precedence effect in 1951;
according to Art Benade (Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics, Dover
Publications 1990), Joseph Henry already observed another consequence in
1856. It should be noted that the effect, even in Haas' observation, is not
relying on  any time delay between the two ears

> I would think of what you describe more as a sort of masking effect.

----- forward masking would be the modern term, I agree. It refers to the
inability to use input that arrives in the window of time following the
perception. And that is why I do not think that varying the dynamics of a
given tone in a chord has much effect.

----- another book that I can recommend highly is
James Beament: "How we hear music. The relationship between music and the
hearing mechanism", The Boydell Press, Woodbridge 2001.
ISBN 0 85115 940 0 paperback (it was reprinted thus in 2003)

Kind regards,

George