Re: [ARSCLIST] Haas effect

On 23/03/07, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> ----- forward masking would be the modern term, I agree. It refers to
> the inability to use input that arrives in the window of time
> following the perception. And that is why I do not think that varying
> the dynamics of a given tone in a chord has much effect.

Which input would the hearer be unable to use? You cannot be suggesting
that if one note of a chord arrives in advance of the others, they are
inaudible. That would make nonsense of all counterpoint.

If four fingers touch the keys at exactly the same time, and one finger
is moving faster than the others, then that hammer will strike its
string first. The note will be both earlier and louder.

To make it louder but not earlier, the pianist would have to delay the
finger (just raising it a little would do).

This has implicatins for the recording of a performance. If timing is
all that matters within a chord, then a piano roll or MIDI can give an
adequate recording. If the notes vary in volume and if this matters,
then a roll cannot record the voicing properly.

(MIDI could if the notes were put on different tracks - but live
recording like that wouldn't be possible.)

The timing of notes in an _orchestral_ chord will vary depending on where
in the audience you are sitting, because of the speed (or slowness) of
sound.

Regards
--
Don Cox