George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Karl Miller commented on

Don Cox <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  ****One major problem is that the various notes of a chord are played at
different velocities (to use the MIDI term), in order to bring out the
counterpoint. I think it would be very difficult to disentangle this from
the noisy waveforms.
Indeed, and with the reproducing piano roll this is a given limitation as
the keyboard is divided into a treble and bass range with one dynamic level
available for each.
Karl

----- I have to confess that I do not know what "velocity" means in MIDI, but in piano playing this means the speed with which the key is depressed, and that determines the "strength" of the note sounded. However, it is the timing of a note and not its strength that determines what is perceived - the precedence effect (used to be called the Haas effect) says that the first sound to arrive will determine the timing, and if the same sound is reproduced stronger slightly later, it is still the first that determines the perceived timing. And fortunately, timing is what a piano roll can provide, although it cannot provide individual dynamics. I think that it is the precise timing that actually makes the illusion created by piano rolls so good.

----- in stating the above I will not say that the pianist does not think that he regulates the dynamics for each individual note - he may or he may not - but then the pianist also thinks that the feeling with which the key is held down _after_ the sounding will influence the sound. It will influence the pianist only (and perhaps an audience with eyes open to watch the antics).

Kind regards,

George