Re: [ARSCLIST] The case for message boards.

This is not practical for everyone. I have ARSC list messages auto routed to their own folder, but if my standard inbox is set to automatically download the messages, setting all the folders is also. I want the rest of the messages to download, so there is no choice. If ARSC offered a newsgroup instead of an email list, not downloading messages for each newsgroup would be possible.

I still don't understand everyone's objection to an on line forum. Forums are so much easier to search. And threads ignored. Maybe a particular heading on the list doesn't interest me at the time, so I delete it. A month later, the topic is one I need to know about. On a forum, I wouldn't need to re-ask the question. A simple search on the forum would give me the answer. I'm not sure this is as simple with the online archive.

Maybe we need to look into the Yahoo group model. You can choose to either have the messages and replies show up in your inbox or view them in a newsgroup format online only. They aren't as nicely organized as online forums. And you have to deal with advertising on Yahoo. But the idea is something to look into.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
www.avocadoproductions.com
Arvada, CO

Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:

What makes you think that you have to "keep up" with it? If you don't want to read something, just don't read it!
You are saying that, just because you use a mail service that forces all emails to be downloaded, you must deny me and any one else the opportunity to browse the wide range of topics that appear on these lists.
My service shows only the headings, which can be sorted by sender, time, or subject. The [List] tags sort out the various lists. It takes a few seconds a day to scan the lists, of perhaps hundreds of posts, pick a subject that might be of interest, then page through all the posts on only that subject. Nothing is downloaded or saved that I don't want. The rest can be deleted from the service without downloading, with a single mouse click. On some lists I may read only one or two posts out of hundreds in a week, but often the ones I do pick up are of great interest. It really bothers me that someone would deny access to this resource just because they don't have the tools to use it properly.
Mike Csontos
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.