Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright question

Recently youtube was forced by a major copyright holder ( Sorry I forget
who it is !) to remove material which was put on their site  without the
copyright holders' permission.
If not for that, it would still be up there. Nothing will happen until
the copyright holder pursues the issue.

Tha's how it happens....

This looks to me like material pirated from the Arts Satelite network
(Lloyd Rigler and David Deuitch's service that airs on PBS after
midnight) who do things correctly , without infringement..
 It is obviously a production piece not shot with a cheap cellphone
camera.

Bob Hodge

>>> karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 2/15/2007 4:41 PM >>>
A friend forwarded this URL. It features a video of a performance of
Schoenberg's Survivor from Warsaw. It was posted by the Arnold
Schoenberg Center.

  Can someone explain to me how they can do this legally? It would seem
that the music is under copyright? So each viewing should require
payment to the copyright owner. And then, who owns the performance? It
features Herman Prey, conducted by Horst Stein. Since it is in color I
am assuming it is not over 50 years old, but then if it was being
offered on a US web site it would need to be covered by the semi eternal
US copyrights?

  Thoughts and/or explanations are most welcome.

  Karl

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWai0SEpUQ