Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

Hi --

Unfortunately, I can't divulge the nature of the project or the name of
the client.

If it was one or two reels of tape with 25-45 splices each, and the
material was worthy, we probably could have taken the hit of fixing the
splices uncompensated. But, it was over 70 such tapes. It simply wasn't
feasible given the budget.

And, frankly, it really wasn't necessary. We proceeded with great care,
stopped when we had to and were indeed successful at producing an
excellent product on time and within the budget.

Now, the client will be able to make the material available instead of
leaving it trapped on the tapes for lack of financial resources. As I
understand it, the plan is to put the recordings in the public domain
where they can be studied and enjoyed -- and they will be.

Given different circumstances, I might not take the same course of
action. But in this case, it seemed to be the right decision.

Best,

-- Steve

Steve Puntolillo
Sonicraft A2DX Lab - Ultimate A_nalog 2 D_igital X_fers
http://www.sonicraft.com/a2dx