Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

At 01:31 AM 2007-01-27, Steve Puntolillo wrote:

And Richard Hess [wrote]:

> It's all how you work and what you become used to. Since you're
> already invested in ATR-100s (presumably having solved the issues
> that Steve worries about with the transport going crazy on bad
> splices)

I *think* I'm the "Steve" Richard is talking about?

You are, indeed!

I should mention that the truly lovely Studer A820 1/4 and 1/2" machine
(which is the *other* darling of mastering decks) can also lose control
of its tension sensing mechanism and "lose it's mind". I have not
experienced this first hand, but have heard so from reliable sources who
own and love these machines.

A possible advantage of the Studer is that it has a pinch roller and so
at least will power its way through tapes with little bits of residual
SSS without changing pitch. The ATR100 has no mechanism to combat
temporary speed fluctuations due to tape that sticks or drags.

I think Parker Dinkens might be able to shed further light on this particular item (see I keep bringing everyone into this thread) as he has now owned two A820s. One, sadly, was damaged beyond repair by Katrina, but he has located a replacement and now has it. Fortunately, all of his head blocks were saved.

Also, this _may_ be the reason that Mark Donahue uses A80 transports for his work--Steve, I know that you are very pleased with yours for tapes with bad splices.

Cheers,

Richard