Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

Hi, Richard and Bruce --

> At 06:00 PM 2007-01-24, Tape Archive (Bruce) wrote:
> >Hi Richard,
> >
> >I'm glad one of my machines made your list. The Ampex 100(104 at our
> >facility).
> >
> >I've got some catching up to do. Hello Ebay?

And Richard Hess replied:

> Hello, Bruce, Goodbye Ebay,
>
> No, I don't think you need to do any catching up. I think what works
> for you is a good thing. Heck, Kiwi did all her great transfers in NZ
> on B67s which worked for her.
>
> It's all how you work and what you become used to. Since you're
> already invested in ATR-100s (presumably having solved the issues
> that Steve worries about with the transport going crazy on bad
> splices)

<snip>

I *think* I'm the "Steve" Richard is talking about?

I should not leave the phrase "the issues that Steve worries about with
the transport going crazy on bad splices" hanging in mid-air in a public
forum.

The ATR100 is a sterling performer and the folks at ATR Service indeed
do a great job of supporting it. If you do a good job of optimizing the
machine for the tape width and reel size of your choice and run *new*
tape on it you will probably love the machine unconditionally.

My ATR Services ATR102 is currently used primarily for 1/2" 2-track
transfers and (besides sounding great) performs as it should with one
caveat (which I'll get back to).

I'd love to hear Bruce's experience with these situations. Here's where
I find I get into trouble:

If the tape is challenged with sections of SSS that did not respond 100%
to baking -- or if it has sticky splices, the machine will not play
smoothly through them. We get anything from a subtle pitch change to
massive overcorrection of the tension sensors. When the latter occurs,
the machine can destabilize to the point that sensors go into violent
oscillation.

This is especially true of 1/4 x 7" small center reels. There's a trick
Andrew Bingham of ATR Service showed me which is to clamp a single 10.5"
NAB flange on top of the 7" reel. This seems to help stabilize the
situation.

I should mention that the truly lovely Studer A820 1/4 and 1/2" machine
(which is the *other* darling of mastering decks) can also lose control
of its tension sensing mechanism and "lose it's mind". I have not
experienced this first hand, but have heard so from reliable sources who
own and love these machines.

A possible advantage of the Studer is that it has a pinch roller and so
at least will power its way through tapes with little bits of residual
SSS without changing pitch. The ATR100 has no mechanism to combat
temporary speed fluctuations due to tape that sticks or drags.

Richard continues:

> that is a fantastic platform going forward. It's one of very
> few recorders with real support (from Spitz).

Amen. Who else would be so dedicated to supporting his machines that
he'd build an entire tape manufacturing plant to make sure his customers
can continue to use them?

-- Steve

Steve Puntolillo
Sonicraft A2DX Lab - Ultimate A_nalog 2 D_igital X_fers
http://www.sonicraft.com/a2dx