Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

I would think the APR series would behave themselves pretty well under
these conditions...

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:03 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel

At 01:31 AM 2007-01-27, Steve Puntolillo wrote:

>And Richard Hess [wrote]:
>
> > It's all how you work and what you become used to. Since you're
> > already invested in ATR-100s (presumably having solved the issues
> > that Steve worries about with the transport going crazy on bad
> > splices)
>
>I *think* I'm the "Steve" Richard is talking about?

You are, indeed!

>I should mention that the truly lovely Studer A820 1/4 and 1/2" machine

>(which is the *other* darling of mastering decks) can also lose control

>of its tension sensing mechanism and "lose it's mind". I have not
>experienced this first hand, but have heard so from reliable sources
>who own and love these machines.
>
>A possible advantage of the Studer is that it has a pinch roller and so

>at least will power its way through tapes with little bits of residual
>SSS without changing pitch. The ATR100 has no mechanism to combat
>temporary speed fluctuations due to tape that sticks or drags.

I think Parker Dinkens might be able to shed further light on this
particular item (see I keep bringing everyone into this thread) as he
has now owned two A820s. One, sadly, was damaged beyond repair by
Katrina, but he has located a replacement and now has it.
Fortunately, all of his head blocks were saved.

Also, this _may_ be the reason that Mark Donahue uses A80 transports for
his work--Steve, I know that you are very pleased with yours for tapes
with bad splices.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx