From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:42 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel
choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

At 05:05 PM 2007-01-24, Matt Sohn wrote:
>Richard,
>I notice the Studer B67 doesn't show up on your list. Any particular
>reason? This is what I use, and I've been very happy with it. Very
>gentle transport too.

I knew this would happen - the list was my opinion based on what I've
discussed with others whom I greatly trust and my personal experience.

The B67 is not a bad machine at all and if you're happy with it, that
is wonderful. But, if you can have an A810 for not much more than a
B67, wouldn't you prefer the A810?

Part of my prejudice is to electronic alignment systems and, IIRC,
the B67 has screwdriver alignment. In the way I work, I need "preset"
memories for tape alignment parameters.

Because of this, my real short list is:
Studer A820, A812, A810
Sony APR500x
Ampex ATR-100 with 3rd party computer-controlled padnets

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx