Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

At 05:05 PM 2007-01-24, Matt Sohn wrote:
Richard,
I notice the Studer B67 doesn't show up on your list. Any particular reason? This is what I use, and I've been very happy with it. Very gentle transport too.

I knew this would happen - the list was my opinion based on what I've discussed with others whom I greatly trust and my personal experience.

The B67 is not a bad machine at all and if you're happy with it, that is wonderful. But, if you can have an A810 for not much more than a B67, wouldn't you prefer the A810?

Part of my prejudice is to electronic alignment systems and, IIRC, the B67 has screwdriver alignment. In the way I work, I need "preset" memories for tape alignment parameters.

Because of this, my real short list is:
Studer A820, A812, A810
Sony APR500x
Ampex ATR-100 with 3rd party computer-controlled padnets

Cheers,

Richard